Date: February 23, 2017
Title: Assistant Professor, Electronics
Full Time Tenure Track Position – Fall 2017
Position Number: 780
Academic Calendar Year: AY 2017-18
Date Available: Fall 2017
Schedule: 32 weeks (Fall and Winter Semesters)
Annual Salary Range: BA/BS: $50,448 - Master’s: $54,891
(Potential of additional contact hours at the contractual overload rate of pay)
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Workforce Development
Close date: Posted until filled. First review March 23, 2017.
The College is seeking candidates to teach in GRCC’s Electronics program in the Applied Technology department. Programs in the Applied Technology and Manufacturing departments focus on the application of high-tech production equipment, software and techniques to achieve cost savings and quality in the manufacturing, service and distribution industries. Students study the basic operations common to production equipment used in industry today; the Industrial Maintenance program prepares students to install, adjust, troubleshoot and repair a variety of industrial machinery used in manufacturing settings. Electricity and electronics are emphasized since most modern manufacturing equipment is electrically operated. Pneumatics, hydraulics and mechanical power are also covered.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as work associated with the School of Workforce Development and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communications skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles, and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
The College is interested in faculty who: (1) possess an interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin, and ability; (2) engage in and develop innovative teaching methods; (3) demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement, individually and for the College. GRCC has an excellent benefits program and the Faculty Association contract provides opportunities to earn additional compensation. A criminal background check will be conducted on all finalists prior to employment with Grand Rapids Community College.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Major Teaching Responsibilities:
- Teach classes in the Electronics Program within the Applied Technology Department.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of new curricula related to Electronics, Electricity and Industrial Automation.
- Serve as a content expert in the areas of electronics and Energy Technology in order to lead the program into the future.
- Incorporate new technologies and methods for enhanced teaching and learning into instructional methods.
- Effectively instruct, assess, document, and advise students regarding their academic performance.
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning-centered environment in the classroom.
- Engage in on-going professional development to maintain expertise in the field and communicate outcomes with faculty and administration; maintain appropriate professional licensure.
Department and College Service Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the growth and development of the program and the college by participating in academic program review; curriculum development, evaluation and revision; team-based committee work; department and advisory committee meetings.
- Assist the Department Head in the preparation of reports and other required documents.
- Contribute to program accreditation processes and reports as determined by the Department Head.
- Evaluate the on-going transferability of the program to 4-year institutions and assist in marketing and program promotion.
- Assist in the promotion of Program, Departmental and College activities and events.
- Promote the department by creating partnerships with state and local communities, businesses and schools.
- Lead, advise and support adjunct faculty to ensure consistent standards and instructional practices within each course.
- Adhere to College processes, policies and contractual obligations.
- Support the College’s Strategic Plan through departmental and college action projects as appropriate.
- Other duties normally required of GRCC faculty members.
Major Student Service Responsibilities:
- Advise students on curriculum, academic programs, and employment and career goals in emerging technologies.
- Participate in departmental student academic advising plans.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of students from diverse backgrounds with a wide range of abilities.
- BS or MS degree from an accredited university or college. Masters Preferred. A successful candidate with a bachelor’s degree will be required to attain a master’s degree within a predetermined time period after hire date.
- Minimum two years’ current experience required in Electronics or related field.
- Knowledge related to courses such as AC and DC circuits, discrete devices, communications systems, digital logic, and PLC systems (preferably Allen-Bradley systems).
- Demonstrate ability and skills needed to plan and lead the development of new courses.
- Successful teaching experience in areas related to electronics or related field.
- Preferred experience in designing and maintaining industrial automation. This includes control systems design, PLC programming, and experience with robotics.
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality (understanding of FERPA and HIIPA laws and requirements.)
- Ability to effectively use data.
- Excellent leadership and organization skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations.
- Demonstrate professionalism, courtesy, and proper appearance.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Ability to cope effectively with the emotional demands associated with various learning environments
- Adhere to the code of ethics, safety regulations, and use sound judgment in regards to safety of self and others.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs. Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. To apply, please visit our website at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs Submit a resume, cover letter, unofficial transcripts and three letters of recommendation. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.